It’s absolutely possible to get an anime-inspired eye without resorting to looking like a parody of an Asian person, or supporting a certain mesh head designer who’s known for bullying others. Let’s check out how the look is done.Continue reading
I was too cool. I knew it.
I had on mesh clothing with the exception of some texture jeans from Mon Tissu, for layering purposes with my Fashionably Dead sweater. My Clawtooth hair hung just right around my shoulders, curling in at my neck, fresh from the C88 sim and looking good. But it wasn’t enough for me–it was all too new, too with it. And according to K-Hole and Tumblr, who had declared the new fashion movement of #normcore (Tumblr by accident, admittedly), I was too modern and needed to go back a few years to make myself more in-the-moment. I needed the blandness of instinctual color pairing, knowing what shades went together, the right structure of negative space versus content in a picture that would represent the meaningless of life.
See, according to the fashion magazines and experimental blogs online, what’s actually cool is virtual reality. The two foremost mediums of that virtual reality gracing blogs and fashion mags right now is earlier versions of The Sims, and 2007-era pics of Second Life. Some people are unaware right now that their pictures are being yanked from Flickr and shared across blogs everywhere, not exactly parodied but halfway that, plus glorified for their alter-persona living their pop-culture-pixel dream against a computerized landscape. IMVU comes in third, with their retro-now-ness being the ‘it’ thing, but still coming in last for lameness and popularity.
And the more aimless your Flickr picture is, the better. Is your alpha missing on a shoe from an old photo of you sporting a sculpty heel? That is so #normcore. Are you sporting a polo from a freebie sim? That’s #normcore. Got a texture pirate shirt you snagged from a marketplace store? That’s so #normcore it’s possibly #seinfeldcore. And the fact you’re dressing so retro as what people imagine Second Life avatars *should* be dressing like, is so meta and lame that it makes you cool.
I’m telling you–indie is dead. Accidental lameness is what’s the now.
So how do you get the #normcore look? What can you do to seem cool?
Here are some tips to get that virtual-meta-core fashion without tipping the scales into trying-too-hard territory:
1. Shop at freebie stores and buy texture clothing from your favorite shops. The older, the better. Seams are IN. Sport it without shame. You are the user who doesn’t live too much with their avatar, who flirts shamelessly with errors and a margin for the human element. Bonus if you find Chip Midnight’s clothing. Actually even his most recent stuff from Futurewave is still pretty #normcore, due to its self-awareness. Even his new mesh avatar is #normcore because it’s cyberpunk, and since we’re playing an online game, cyberpunk = webpunk. Actually, okay. All cyberpunk clothing is in. Ask Sian Pearl. She was actually in Novembre magazine recently (YOU NEED TO BUY THAT ISSUE BECAUSE IT IS SO NORMCORE IT IS TOO COOL FOR YOU AND SHE IS THE COOLEST AVATAR IN SECOND LIFE CURRENTLY. NO THIS IS NOT A JOKE. THIS REALLY HAPPENED.).
2. Ruth your hair. Yes, that’s right. Ruth it. Ruth it all day long. If you aren’t brave enough, just use old sculpt hair. Buy old hair from [email protected] Rose in a funky color, or old Nylon outfitters creations. Boom! #normcore at your front door. You are so cool without realizing it.
3. Don’t flaunt it. Don’t go overboard. It’s okay to sport SOME mesh stuff, just don’t go completely there or else it’s like you’re doing too much. You want a little retro for your look or else hel-lo, 2now4us.
4. Don’t wear an AO. AO’s are for people into their avatars. Are you into your avatar if you’re #normcore? No. You are not.
Now you’ve been transformed, go into Edit mode and stay that way forever. Your arms held out like Moses parting the sea, you’ve opened a path into the future, a personal virtual sidewalk that paves the way into your #nowness forever. You are the dream of the forever online young adult searching for meaning in their life. Engage. Move foreward. Never look back, or you’ll turn into salt.
What I’m Wearing
Random Freebie Store – Black PVC Jacket
Pink Fuel Skin
Hair by CM – Hanging Front Curls
Mon Tissu – Denim – 1929 Cigarette (Gray)
There’s several different options for wearing teeth in SL. The most simple is wearing a lipstick tattoo layer with teeth (open mouth) drawn onto it. I’ve also worn just the teeth tattoo layer, alpha cut out with prim teeth attachment, and finally, the most complex is wearing sculpted prim teeth.
I love dressing up a plain Base skin with additional tattoo layers, but you can follow this tutorial using a skin with as much or as little makeup as you’d like.
1. LeLutka – Gem/GOLDEN-Base/DBrows | 2. Tuli – Eyeliner 5 (buy it from Marketplace)
You could skip step 2 and 3 and go straight to step 4 if you’re already wearing a skin with makeup.
3. Makeup1 eyeshadow (included with Lara Hurley Skins “Ava” pack) | Glamorize – Glimpse Lips2 (Gentle Red)
I like the Glamorize – Glimpse Lips2 (Gentle Red) lipstick tattoo layer cos it fits most of my skins and also has nice teeth drawn onto it. Any brand that you like would work for step 4.
After adding a tattoo lipstick layer, don’t forget to adjust your lips! In some very rare instances, the lips may not need adjusting, but I’ve always had to tweak mine by fixing the lips ratio and other mouth tweaks until it looks natural to me. A new lipstick tattoo layer should be treated like a new skin, so tweak, tweak, tweak and save the new shape.
Add a pair of glasses and you’ve got a sexy geeky chic-y! 🙂
Tuli – Eyeliner 5 (buy it from Marketplace)
Makeup1 eyeshadow (included with Lara Hurley Skins “Ava” pack)
Glamorize – Glimpse Lips2 (Gentle Red)
& Gos – Cateye (Black)
Ingenue – Every Saturday Tee (Grass)
Maitreya – Nadja (Platinum)
From this —-> to this! 🙂
This Minute Makeover post will transform your skin without breaking your budget. I like to fatpack skins, but even fatpacks don’t have everything my skin whore addict heart desires. For someone on a budget, a nice base skin in one or two nice lipsticks is all you really need, tattoo layers will do all the rest.
1. Bare face (Laqroki Vilda 03 (Fair) Glow skin (Blonde)) 2. Dutch Touch MakeUp – LIPGloss – Faded Serie – StrawBerry
My base skin is this lovely Laqroki Vilda 03 (Fair) Glow skin (Blonde); this is the perfect skin for a nice beachy look, the skin tone is beautiful. I added a layer of Dutch Touch MakeUp – LIPGloss – Faded Serie in Strawberry to give the lips a touch of pink.
3. cheLLe – (eyeshadow) Rainbow Eyes (Medium) 4. Tuli – Eyeliner 5 (group gift)
Now, the fun stuff. I added a layer of the cheLLe – (eyeshadow) Rainbow Eyes (Medium), which looks great under prim lashes by itself, but I wanted more definition so I added a final layer of Tuli Eyeliner 5. As you can see, it really makes a difference!
You can substitute the lipgloss and eyeliner with any brand of your choice, as long as it fits your skin nicely.
Don’t forget to finish the look with a pair of prim lashes of your choice and/or wear texture lashes tattoo. I can’t stand my avatar without lashes!!
I’m inspired by all the new and awesome makeups at Kozmetika, so I’ve created a new blog category called Minute Makeover.
The objective of Minute Makeover is to take any SL skin, and transform it in “under a minute” with some tattoo makeups.
1. Bare face (LeLutka Gem/Golden-Makeup7) | 2. BOOM – Down to Basics (Gold)
I started with a skin that has minimal makeup (LeLutka Gem/Golden-Makeup7) but you can see there’s some light eyeshadow. I’m adding a layer of BOOM – Down to Basics (Gold) shadow that has dark eyeliner, but I’m not finished yet!
3. BOOM – Liquid Gaze (lashed) Hot Pink 4. Final look (with prim lashes added)
I wanted something bold and bright to go over the Gold shadow, so I added the BOOM – Liquid Gaze (lashed) Hot Pink. This layer also includes tattoo lashes, but I still wanted to finish it off with a pair of my favorite prim lashes to complete the look.
I’m using the SL Official 2.4 Viewer to wear multiple tattoo layers. If you need help wearing tattoo layers, check out my How to wear multiple tattoo layers tutorial.